City Forester – San Antonio
CITY OF SAN ANTONIO
invites applications for the position of:
SALARY: $25.76 – $43.80 Hourly
$53,587.30 – $91,098.54 Annually
Application Deadline: 03/26/19 11:59 PM
For more information regarding the position, visit the City of San Antonio’s employment website at the following link for a complete job description and to submit your application:
Grant Funded: No
Work Hours: 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday with seasonal schedule adjustments to include some evenings and weekends. Shifts are subject to change to accommodate evening coverage, rotating weekends and holiday shift work as dictated by business needs.
Under general direction, coordinates assigned urban forestry activities within the City of San Antonio with outside agencies and with the general public. Activities include developing and administering a policy in regard to public trees; supervising and coordinating urban forestry operations, activities and events; provides highly responsible and complex staff assistance to assigned senior management staff. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Coordinates with appropriate board(s) and committee(s) on all public tree and urban forestry issues.
• Coordinates with stakeholders to implement a long-range public tree management plan that will include inventory and planting.
• Establishes and maintains green layer/tree data on the City and other agency geographic information system(s) for their use especially as it relates to planning and monitoring.
• Maintains accurate records and files on all public tree maintenance, planting, and removals.
• Continuously monitors and evaluates the quality, responsiveness, efficiency, and effectiveness of the urban forestry programs, methods, and procedures; works with employees on the continuous improvement of programs.
• Provides appropriate educational information to other City and agency staff, and to citizens in both oral and written formats.
• Meets with supervisor on weekly basis for project and schedule updates.
• Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with preferable coursework in Forestry or a related field.
• Two (2) years of practical experience in urban forestry, including two (2) years in a supervisory capacity.
• This position requires a valid Class ‘C’ Texas Driver’s License or obtain a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License within thirty (30) days after becoming a resident of the State of Texas.
• International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist highly desirable.
• Experience utilizing personal computer and software.
• Experience with Arc Map/GIS.
• Experience utilizing hand tools.
• Strong desire to work for the City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation.
• Department and serve the general public.
• Knowledge and understanding of Central Texas trees.
• Strong communication skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities of an urban forestry program.
• Knowledge of arboriculture; tree growth and culture requirements.
• Knowledge of native trees and associated plants.
• Knowledge in pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
• Knowledge of effective management and supervisory practices.
• Skill in operating a personal computer, tree maintenance software and Arc Map/GIS.
• Ability to prepare and implement budgets.
• Ability to prepare and manage grants.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and the general public.
February 1, 2023
Are your trees damaged by the ice storm?
July 28, 2022
Another benefit of Texas trees: Cooler temperatures
February 25, 2022
Time to Plant Trees in Texas
January 27, 2022
Treemergency: Mulch Volcanos are Erupting in Landscapes!
December 21, 2021
Cedar fever season in Texas
November 9, 2021
Texans celebrate 2021 Arbor Day in Weatherford, Texas – and beyond
June 24, 2021
41st Texas Tree Conference, Academy, Trade Show and Tree Schools
February 17, 2021
Texas Sized Winter Storms Can Damage Trees
April 8, 2020
ISA Online learning Sale
October 8, 2019
2019 Texas Tree Conference – Thanks!