- This event has passed.
Professional Tree Worker Climbing Course – Austin
September 21, 2019 @ 8:00 am - September 22, 2019 @ 4:00 pm
Join the City of Austin’s Urban Forestry Program for the two-day Professional Tree Climbing Course. Get hands-on tree climbing experience in a small class setting alongside certified arborists from the City of Austin. Come learn or review the basics of climbing trees for work, with an emphasis on current safety standards.
Who should attend this course?
This course is intended for professional tree workers or aspiring tree workers. The focus will be on climbing for work not recreation.
No prior climbing experience is required.
What will you learn?
Participants will learn about how to:
- be safe and methodical climbers;
- select gear;
- tie industry approved knots;
- and make decisions that will promote a safer work culture.
This course is designed around the ANSI Z133 Safety Requirements for Arboricultural Operations, The Tree Climber’s Companion: A Reference And Training Manual For Professional Tree Climbers by Jeff Jepsen, and the International Society of Arboriculture Arborist’ Certification Study Guide.
What will you receive?
- The Tree Climber’s Companion: A Reference And Training Manual For Professional Tree Climbers by Jeff Jepsen
- A certificate of completion recognizing 13.5 hours of continuing education units towards ISA requirements
- Climbing is hard! This class will be rigorous. You will be expected to be able to pull your body weight and partake in strenuous physical activity for several hours. Please take your own physical limitations into consideration when signing up for this class.
- Please include an active email account that you check regularly in your registration so that you can receive pertinent information about class details, rain day information, and a syllabus.
- Rain dates: Saturday, October 5th – Sunday, October 6th