- This event has passed.
Open Source GIS – The Swiss Army Knife of Mapping Tools for the Arborist and Urban Forester – Grand Prairie
January 25, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$195 – $250
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) has been an invaluable tool for Urban Foresters, Engineers, Planners, and many other disciplines for quite some time, however largely it has been in the hands of the few “tech-oriented” people who took interest in it. Additionally, proprietary software and training have been costly, thereby limiting the adoption of these amazing tools for daily management of the urban forest. QGIS®, an open source GIS platform, provides a rich array of easy-to-learn tools for mapping, inventory, analysis, and so much more. This one-day seminar will teach you how to download and install the free software, find and create geographic data, and use that information to solve everyday problems in practical scenarios common to arborists and urban foresters.
WHAT CAN I USE GIS FOR?
- Hazard Tree Assessment
- Tree Maintenance Planning
- Client Bids/Presentations
- Tracking Patterns of Disease/Mortality
- Tree Planting Plans
- Tree Protection and Mitigation Plans, Disposition Plans and other Permit-Oriented Documents
- Vegetation Damage Assessments and Appraisals
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Municipal, Commercial and Utility Arborists, Urban Foresters, Landscape Architects, Planners, Public Works and Parks Employees and anyone else who plants, manages, cares for and protects the trees in our communities.
- Welcome and Introduction 9:00 to 9:15
- An Overview of GIS 9:15 to 10:00
- Break 10:00 to 10:15
- Exploring the Interface 10:15 to 12:00
- Lunch (Provided) 12:00 to 1:00
- Geographic Analysis Made Easy 1:00 to 2:15
- Break 2:15 to 2:30
- Thematic Mapping 2:30 to 3:45
- Going Further 3:45 to 4:00