Clearcutting Bills Threaten Texas Trees
It is important for Sierrans to take action to resist the Legislature’s war on trees. Texas Senators have filed 3 bills that could effectively abolish San Antonio’s Tree Preservation Ordinance, and every other such ordinance in the state.
If any one of these bills is passed, it will enable mass clearcutting of trees (even giant heritage oaks) for new strip malls and subdivisions:
- SB 782 by Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) – Prohibits cities from regulating tree clearing but allows assessing mitigation fees to be used for planting new trees.
- SB 898 by Paul Bettencourt (R-Houston) – Prohibits cities from regulating tree clearing or assessing mitigation fees.
- SB 1082 by Konni Burton (R-Fort Worth) – Prohibits cities from regulating tree clearing or assessing mitigation fees.
Note the similarity of the bills. This is unusual and a sign that multiple bills were filed to increase their chances of passage. San Antonio’s trees are in grave danger.
How you can help
- It is important to get large numbers of pro-tree people to the committee hearings. We need to speak in opposition to these bills or at least register against them. Please call me at (210) 494-2088 or email if you would like a ride to a hearing.
- Contact the members of the Senate Committees hearing these bills. The bill history pages linked above will list the committees and hearing dates once they are assigned. I recommend setting up email alerts at MyTLO (TX Legislature Online).
- You may also want to contact your state Senator and Representative in opposition to these bills.
by Richard Alles, Forests/Trees contact
May 22, 2018
Identification, Images, & Information For Insects, Spiders & Their Kin For the United States & Canada
August 25, 2017
Safe Response to Tree-Related Storm Damage
July 24, 2017
Alert – Tree Legislation in the 2017 Texas Legislature Special Session
July 20, 2017
Texas Senate Committee to Debate Tree Bill This Saturday
July 3, 2017
Texas Tree Conference – Registration Now Open
June 27, 2017
Protecting Community and Urban Forestry in the Federal FY18 Budget
June 15, 2017
Texas Chapter ISA Elections – Time for Nominations – Deadline
June 15, 2017
2017 Texas Tree Award Nominations – June 19th deadline!!!
May 25, 2017
Counting on Houston’s trees
May 1, 2017
Sentinel Pest Network and Invaders of Texas Species Workshops